- NEWS / ABOUT
- April 12, 2016
AFJD installs They Grow Without Us, functional public seating grown from mushrooms at the UBC Bookstore, Lee Square. Please join us for the opening reception from 4:30 to 6:30pm. The installation will be up until July 1st, 2016. The project is part of the UBC Centennial Celebration.
- August 16 2015
AFJD installs Mycelium Mockup at Museum of Vancouver in CATALYZE exhibition organized by Artistic Directors Kate Armstrong Malcolm Levy ISEA2015, the annual conference of the International Society of Electronic Arts
August 5, 2015
BC Hydroelectric Authority to fund Studio for Form and Energy at UBC founded by JD to investigate the intersections of energy and architecture
June 1, 2015
JD presents at annual NSF SBIR conference in Atlanta, GA.
May 27, 2015
JD participates in Sustainability Think Tank at State University of NY, New Paltz
May 25 2015
JD gives keynote lecture in Oaxaca, Mexico, at First International Congress of Culture, Heritage, and Sustainability hosted by the Faculty of Architecture of the Universidad Autónoma Benito Juarez http://www.arq5m.uabjo.mx/at
May 5, 2015
Watershed Materials, co-founded by JD, featured on the website of the National Science Foundation's SBIR program. The NSF funded Watershed Materials' research, both for a geopolymer replacement to Portland cement used in concrete masonry and for a new machine platform to produce low (or zero) cement masonry
JD invited to undergraduate final reviews at Dalhousie University Faculty of Architecture and Planning
April 16, 2015
JD invited to thesis reviews at University of Toronto Master of Landscape Architecture
March 20, 2015
JD presents at ACSA annual conference in Toronto
April 20, 2015
AFJD and MSA invited to show Pop Rocks in Micro-Trasformazioni 2.0 in Brescia, Italy a collateral event of the Triennale of Milan curated by Paolo Mestriner, focused on inbnovative practices defined by low-cost and high-results urban interventions.
Feb 5, 2015
JD invited to participate in symposium at Beit al Hikma (http://www.baitelhekma.nat.tn/) on earthen architecture in Tunis, Tunisia
Feb 10, 2015
JD presents at international conference on rammed earth at the University of Western Australia. (http://www.ecm.uwa.edu.au/business/icrec2015)
Sept 30, 2015
Watershed Materials LLC receives $740,000 Phase II Small Business Innovative Research in funding from the National Science Foundation for its development of next generation sustainable masonry materials. Links: http://watershedmaterials.com/blog/2014/9/30/watershed-materials-awarded-740000-from-the-national-science-foundation-to-develop-durable-green-masonry-building-materials-with-zero-cement
July 5, 2014
AFJD commissioned by SEEDS and Campus and Community Planning to University of British Columbia to develop an architectural installation using advanced mushroom biocomposites masonry for campus
June 26, 2014
JD presents on the future of masonry at SPUR (San Francisco Planning and Urban Research) with Brent Constantz, the founder of Blue Planet http://www.spur.org/
April 1, 2014
Watershed Materials LLC receives a prestigious Architizer A+ award in the category of new materials link: http://watershedmaterials.com/blog/2014/4/1/watershed-materials-is-a-winner-of-thebr-a-architizer-awards
- I Hear You Say is an installation that translates sound waves into furniture. Made from post-consumer recycled EPS with a hard coating, the piece is a large-scale visualization of the word “Ah” that functions as site-specific seating on the terrace of the Peter Wall Institute. Located on the terrace at the Peter Wall Institute and open to the public. The Institute invites visitors to recline on the installation and converse while contemplating English Bay and the Coast Mountains beyond.
- Pop Rocks, an architectural installation commissioned by the City of Vancouver transformed a block of Robson Street in downtown Vancouver from August 15 until October 1, 2012. Pop Rocks is a radically experimental temporary design that borrows post-industrial waste on its way to be recycled.
- AFJ Feedback Series, Contemporary Art Gallery, Vancouver, Nov 6, 2012
- AFJ Western Front, Vancouver, September 25, 2012
- AFJ Accountability Technologies panel at Ars Electronica curated by Dietmar Offenhuber & Katja Schechtner, Sept 1, 2012
- AFJ La Lucha Sin Fin: On Contemporary Charismatics and its Political Technologies, forthcoming book publication, Jan van Eyck, October 2012
- AFJD Pop Rocks opens in Vancouver August 15 through Sept 3
- *Latent Stare* group exhibition curated by David Bennewith, July 8 through Sept 30.
- JD Sustainability at a Distance: lessons learned from the developing world presentation at Sustainable Futures: Architecture and Urbanism in the Global South, in Kampala, Uganda, June 30
- JD Architecture beyond borders: provisional lessons learned from the developing world presentation at ACSA Barcelona, June 22
- JD Appointed Peter Wall Institute Early Career Scholar, April 15.
- AFJ Data Is Political: Art, Design & the Politics of Information conference at KHiB (National Arts Academy) in Bergen, Norway, March 15
- JD Form & Energy lecture series established at UBC, ongoing
- JD Watershed Block awarded first contract for earth masonry units in Napa, California
- JD Low Quality High Volume: Research Operations in Earth Economy lecture at Museum of Vancouver, March 18
- JD SALA Works exhibition at OR Gallery, Vancouver Feb 25-March 15
- AFJ Open Source Culture and Learning Cultures: Who Leads Whom? Panel discussion at ELIA, European League of Institutes of Arts, December 9, 2011
- AFJ Appointed associate professor starting at Emily Carr University of Art and Design in Vancouver, July 1, 2012